Solutions: lifestyle changesThere are a couple of things you can try to reduce your chances of experiencing panic episodes while sleeping:
1. MusicListening to relaxing music can help you fall asleep faster than simply lying on your bed in complete silence. Music will help you relax your mind and stop focusing on your conscious thoughts. Alternatively, you can try listening to a white noise machine instead of music.
2. RelaxationBasic relaxation exercises can go a long way in helping you sleep better. I like to practice conscious breathing whenever I have trouble falling asleep as I find it helps me calm my mind.
3. ExercisingYou don’t need to do a lot of exercising every day to sleep better. Some simple lifestyle changes like taking the stairs instead of the elevator will do you a lot of good. It’s amazing how a 20-minute walk outside can do wonders to clear your mind and help you sleep better at night.
4. Avoiding alcohol and coffeeIn many cases, alcohol and coffee have been found to be the cause of panic disorders in people. Gradually decrease your intake of coffee and avoid taking it in the afternoon if you want any chance of sleeping at night. If you drink a lot, try to cut back on alcohol and take notes on the quality of your sleep to learn what effects it has on it.
5. Stress managementAs I mentioned earlier, nightly episodes of panic happen when there is a lot of stress and anxiety repressed during the day. Learning how to manage that stress will help you get rid of your problem.
6. TherapyIf your panic or anxiety attacks become a problem in your life and you feel like you can’t solve it by yourself, don’t be afraid to consult a professional to help you with your issue.
Panic attack or sleep apnea?Panic attacks happening while you’re sleeping can bear some resemblances with sleep apnea, a disorder where the person stops breathing during sleep for a small period of time. While the symptoms of sleep apnea may look like the symptoms of a panic attack, doctors agree that the two disorders are unrelated.
Lisa Ekanger Your Hometown Realtor!