Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Power of I AM!

Each and every day, we proclaim what and who we are - sometimes without realizing it. Almost as if we're on auto-pilot, we tell the world around us what we think about ourselves. We often undervalue the power of our thoughts and forget that. This morning I made a quick stop at Starbucks in between training my amazing clients near the beach (I love my job!), and I overheard a few conversations.
A guy was talking to a very lovely woman as they both waited in line behind me. He got her attention by saying, "Hey, I am SO bad with names but I feel like we've met before."
I thought, "His story of 'I am SO bad with names' makes him struggle with remembering names." He said it with such conviction and he believed that to be factual. So he more than likely believes that he will have a difficulty remembering the name of most people he meets, even before he meets them. Either that or he was digging into his bag of "pick up lines."
As I approached the counter to order, one of the baristas knocked over two tall stacks of cups. They plummeted all over the counter and went flying in every possible direction. Patrons and dedicated coffee drinkers stopped their small talk to see what caused such commotion. The barista exclaimed, "I am SUCH an idiot! So sorry everyone. I am so clumsy."
As I helped gather the flying to-go coffee cups, I said, "You're not an idiot OR clumsy. You're human. You're also an awesome barista and no one can make my Americano better than you can. I'm grateful for you."
"No I am so stupid. Can't believe I just did that," she argued.
"Anything you say after 'I am' is true, so choose a better-feeling adjective," I argued back.
She was having a really hard time saying anything positive after "I am", but she finally announced that she was awesome by the time I paid for my coffee. We feel like it's challenging or awkward to celebrate ourselves, but it's the fastest and easiest way to undo our negative thinking. We make it paramount and difficult to change our thought pattern, because we think we're being honest with ourselves. But it's actually our Ego trying to keep our authentic Self small and quiet.
Tell your Ego, "Thanks for your opinion, but you can just keep that to yourself. I am AMAZING! Byyyyye!!!"
All you have to do is make the choice to make the change. Since you're the boss of you, you get to decide that you're going to stop the negative mental chatter and say something nice to your Self - out loud! It INSTANTLY feels better than ANY negative thought you were just having. Then you get to pay your Self another great compliment. And another, and another and another!
You simply cannot give your Self too many compliments. You just can't. In this exact moment, say something FANTASTIC about the beautiful being that you are. Just do it! I'm pretty sure you smiled while saying it, didn't you? :)
One of my most favorite spiritual teachers of all time, summed it all up when he said:

The guy knew what he was talking about. Celebrate your Self each and every day. Be mindful of whatever you say after "I AM", because your body - and the Uni-verse - will most certainly believe you.
Love all that is you,
xoxo
Lisa Ekanger Your Preferred Realtor!

No comments:

Post a Comment